Worship Times
  • Sunday
    • Sunday School, 9:25 am
    • Communion, 10:30 am
    • Morning Worship, 11:00 am
  • Wednesday
    • Morning Bible Study, 11:00 am
    • Evening Bible Study, 7:00 pm
Archives

Our History

Metropolitan Community Tabernacle was formed November 11, 1922 by a number of Christians who were attending Ebernezer Church. These Christians were dissatisfied with conditions at Ebernezer Church and decided to organize a church of their belief. They became known as Metropolitan Church.

Church meetings were held at the home of Bro. and Sis. Hutchinson, located at 935 Canfield. Shortly afterwards, plans were made to buy a school building at 545 Division in Detroit, under the leadership of Pastor Wilbert Johnson.

Pastor Johnson served until his death in 1927. The position was then temporarily filled by Pastor Charles Green who ad assisted Pastor Johnson at various times. Bro. J. Evans was later chosen to fill the position.

Pastor Evans served until he resigned in 1934 to accept a pastorship at a church in Chicago, Illinois, at the request of dying Pastor W. D. Cook. In 1935, J. R. Harvey was called to Detroit from Chicago to become the pastor of Metropolitan Church. Pastor Harvey served one year and then returned to Chicago. The members of the church called Gardner Hey of London, England and he served as pastor from 1936 to 1936. Pastor Hey left to become Bishop of the Church of God in Christ.

Metro at 8552 Cameron at Wellington

Metro at 8552 Cameron at Wellington

In 1937, John E. Glover of River Rouge was called to pastor Metropolitan. That same year the church was forced to leave Division Street because of the construction of the Brewster Projects. Under the leadership of Pastor Glover, we moved to 9100 Cameron. During his pastorship, we constructed a building at 8552 Cameron at Wellington. and became known as Metropolitan Community Tabernacle. Pastor Glover is also credited with the association of Metropolitan with Brethren assemblies.

From 1949 to 1950, several ministers spoke at Metropolitan while we were without a pastor. Among the speakers was William James Coleman from Bethany Chapel (now known as Bethany-Pembroke Chapel). Bro. Coleman was chosen to be our 6th pastor in 1951.

Metropolitan at 9835 Hayes at Chelsea

Metro at 9835 Hayes at Chelsea

Under his ministry, we moved from 8552 Cameron to 9835 Hayes. For nearly 37 years, Pastor Coleman continued to lay a sound foundation, based on the Word of God. He served until the Lord called him home on June 29, 1988.

In September of 1988, Metropolitan Community Tabernacle called Pastor George W. Washington of Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Church in Port Huron to be our minister. In June 1994, the church relocated to its present location of 11435 Morang. Now under the direction of Pastor Washington, who serves as our 7th pastor, the church is continuing to grow and the Word is still being proclaimed.

Comments are closed.